Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"Chui"



150 x 200
Oil on Board
"Chui"

Ever since I had chicken pox, I hate spots. I ended up with a whole lot of extra ones after I finished this painting.
When I was a kid in England, you'd see the occassional lady walking arround with a leopard skin coat. They always looked very sexy. Although I must admit when I saw them I didn't know what sexy meant.
Most African farmers would still like the trade in Leopard skins to continue. I lived in Nairobi for a time, and always remember the people who lived outside of the town complaining that a leopard had just killed the prize dog. You didn't leave your dog outside if you wanted to see it in the morning.
They're still beautiful animals. Deadly silent night time killers.
The "Pink" variety on the other hand make very good comedic actors.
Kiswahili name - Chui.
I know it's a poor attempt, so it would be interesting to tell me how I could improve it.
Thanks Bob

1 comment:

Elijah said...

The head is great, but maybe the back needs a few more shadows, to show that these are bones moving and stretching the skin as the cat takes a step. Regardless, I think this piece a success. You really show the personality of the animal. This is exactly the gaze, from how I remember it from NG -- lazy, confident and quietly intimidating. Great job!