Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"Wildebeest"


400x600 Oil on Board
"Wildebeest"

I finished this painting to-day of some wildebeest in the late afternoon sun. You know when you look into the sun and everything looks the same colour, well that was where I was trying to go.

Guess what:I failed. Maybe not. I don't know. I still like the picture. I just wish that I was more skilled. I wanted to put another five or six animals in the background. Either I didn't have the patience or the skill or I'm a rotten artist. I don't know, but I kind of like it anyway. So there.

The white is the flash from my camera.

A peom for Mon amie Canadiane,

The water hole is not far from here. This is more like the Kalahari. You can see the sand dunes in the background. It gets quite hot. Theres a village down the road a mile or so (300 ks) called Hot as Hell You'll find it on the map close to the Botswana border.

“Old Tree at the Water Hole”

I’m sitting here on this old tree,
The sun is sinking in the west.
Doves come in to wet their wings,
In the water hole down below.

Zebras squeeling , wildebeest fight,
Black Backed Jackal look left and right.
Dust reflects the golden rays,
The last rays of the day.

I’m sitting here on this old tree,
The sun is almost down.
Amimals bending at their knees
Quenching a long days thirst.

Lion are coming over dune,
Hyenas running, they’ll drink soon,
Crocs are looking with dead eyes
Their feast will come when something dies.

I’m sitting here on this old tree
The sun has disappeared.
They all see things that makes them run,
The powerful rule the night.

Sounds and smells keep them alive and safe to see the sun
To them it’s life or death, to us it’s just good fun.
The smell of blood, the taste of dust, of hair, of bone, of bile,
It’s more than that. To sit down here ,to sit down here and smile.

Cheers
Bob


No comments: