Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Across the Mara"


150 x 200 Oil on Board “Across the Mara”

For those who don’t know or can’t afford “Getaway” magazine, the Mara river runs through the migration route of the Wildebeest / Zebra on their trips to and from grazing.

They are forced to cross the river which just happens to be full of, no, not overflowing effluent, spilled aircraft fuel or household rubbish, but those magnificent natural pool cleaners; crocodiles. It is a natural lottery, run much better than South Africas National lottery, in that it works with deadly efficiency.

I wouldn’t like to have to make the crossing if I was a zebra. Come to that, I don;t think that I would like to make the crossing if I wasn’t a Zebra. Still it’s one of those things that will continue to happen every year. From what I understand, they will shortly have to put up grandstands to allow the hundreds of annual visitors to be able to see better.

Maybe they should make the visitors cross with the animals. Could make for some good photo opportunities.

Cheers

Bob

1 comment:

Michelle Wrighton Artist said...

Well done Bob! You have captured the tenseness of the zebras well, they certainly look spooked (as I would be if I had just crossed a river full of crocs!)